In 1913, our institute was founded as a research facility for hydraulic engineering. This makes us one of the oldest hydraulic engineering laboratories in the world. The grand opening took place on March 23, 1914. At that time, the Institute was part of the Ministry of Public Works. From 1918, it was part of the Ministry of Commerce and Transport. From 1938 to now, the Institute is part of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (today Federal Ministry of Sustainability and Tourism).
After the Second World War, the calibration of hydrometrical current meters was integrated into the institute. This was also reflected in the name of the institute by adding the suffix "and Calibration of Hydrometrical Current-Meters". As part of the expansion, there were plans for a new location in the Arsenal area in Vienna. In fact, the expansion took place at the previous location in Severingasse in Vienna's 9th district. The enlarged building was opened on 28.1.1953.
In 1995, the Institute became part of a newly established larger administrative unit, the Federal Agency for Water Management. The name of the Institute changed from Federal Institute for hydraulic physical model test and Calibration of Hydrometrical Current-Meters to Institute of Hydraulic Engineering and Calibration of Hydrometrical Current-Meters. The new name reflects that the field of activity had expanded significantly over the years. In 1995, the field of activity already included numerical modelling and consulting activities.
The overview over the finished projects from the last decades reflect the change in the main activities of the Institute. From the predominantly technically oriented engineering projects in the early years to ecological hydraulic engineering and river morphology in connection with the protection against flood hazards in the more recent history.
Despite numerous advances in numerical modelling, hydraulic model experiments are still an indispensable tool for science and practice. For this reason, and in order to increase the technical and economic efficiency, a cooperation agreement between our Ministry and the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences was concluded on February 14, 2012. The agreement includes the use of synergies and provides for the bundling of forces at a joint new location. Construction is expected to be completed in 2022.
Construction of the testing tanks in 1913